Monday, October 4, 2010

because I had to: extreme living

72 hours of fasting, 36 hours of non-stop dancing, hiking, acro-yoga-ing, cuddling, massaging, fire poi spinning (thank you alchemy festival!!), 11 hours of straight glorious recovery sleep, 2 cups of coffee... and what next? 4 hours of non-stop running, naturally!

I had passed the 3 hour test last weekend, so this was just a bodily reminder of what I needed to do on raceday. I am also in the "sober zone" now, as my brother and I made a pact not to drink any alcohol for the month of October, in the interest of boosting our health and performance on race day. So now I'm in the double zone of no sex (that began September-ish), no alcohol. Damn, that's a hella lot of energy for running! :)

The run went pretty well, though it was laced with a bit of pain. My legs began to feel very heavy at about 2 hours in. I stopped for a vitamin water, which may have saved me. I chugged the whole thing down fast and kept running. At three hours in my calfs were pretty much completely numb, I felt like they were two leaden prostheses hanging off of my thighs. I vowed to call Krista for a serious thai massage session. I had to make a few 30-second stretch stops, which really really helped.

I also stopped for a protein-grapefruit-raspberry-strawberry-papaya smoothie, which aside from a near skull-freeze, tasted very very good.

Even with all the lead-foot, I was able to press myself into a sprint for the last 5 minutes, which felt good. Returned to a cold Powerade and a hot bath.

Also able to think a lot about L and the events of Alchemy. I'm still torn between making a life with her and moving on to something else. Good choices in both directions. As usual, the important thing is not to make the right choice, but to make a choice and stick with it. Period.

And for those interested in the details of the run, proceed at your own risk:
http://runkeeper.com/user/AcroYogi/activity/17784184

No comments:

Post a Comment